Friday, November 21, 2008

Around the Services featuring Ryan

I got an email from our friend Rebecca letting us know that she saw Ryan on a segment from "Around the Services" on the Pentagon Channel in Okinawa.  (Thanks Rebecca!)  So I went to www.pentagonchannel.mil and found the episode from November 12th, downloaded it, and extracted his appearance out of the 22 minute piece.  Ryan was part of a two minute feature about care for our wounded warriors.  

The technology that they are using to create Ryan's new ears is truly remarkable.  And Dr. Villalobos might actually be the nicest man I've ever met!  Ryan plans to have the surgery to remove what's left of his ear cartilage and place the implants in his skull in January.  After that it will be about 6 months before they will uncover the implants, attach magnets, let that heal, and then attach Ryan's new ears.  It's amazing what they can do!

7 comments:

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

I found your site thru the Nie Nie and CJane site. My cousin was burned as a little child and had several surgeries. I wanted to check out your site and offer encouragement, but I can see you guys are doing GREAT! This video is amazing and your husband seems like he has a really good attitude about it. Good luck with future surgeries and congratulations on your miracle!

John and Coleen said...

That was a great clip. Ryan looks great. It is amazing what they can do.
Love you, Mom & John

RoseAnn said...

That is so incredible!

I'm wondering...do you have to narrow it down to one set of ears? Maybe you could have different ones like accessories. ;)

Tammy Edwards said...

Okay, my first thought when they said he could choose the ones he likes the best was, can he have more then one set. I was thinking elf ears for the holidays, spock ears for Halloween, regualar ears for most days, maybe small ones for cold days so they don't get cold. Then I thought, hmmm, maybe I shouldn't say this as not everyone reading this blog has the warped sense of humor we burn wives have. I saw RoseAnn's comment and thought, what the heck! Anyway, Ryan, you look great. Next time I see you I would like an autograph!!!

RoseAnn said...

Tammy - I worried after I wrote my comment that others might not find that funny. Glad someone did; I hope Ryan laughed a little, too. ;)

LOL at small ears so they don't get cold...they are prosthetic so I wouldn't think that would be an issue!

Ryan said...

Tammy & RoseAnn-

Excellent suggestions. The only problem is that I was already planning the spock and elf ears so now the surprise and originality are blown. Thanks a lot! But seriously, when you see the crew of the starship enterprise in next year's Halloween picture you'll know where it all started.

MamaSchork said...

nice! Now you'll have a new magnet to hold school papers on the fridge! xoxo Voltin clan...