Monday, February 9, 2009

Vail Veterans Program

I cannot express in words how happy I am that we had the opportunity to participate in this program. In December, my friend Tracy called to invite us, and truthfully I almost said no right away. But I thought I should ask Ryan before I close the door on an opportunity. I was actually surprised when Ryan said yes so quickly and so adamantly. And I didn't even have to wait 24 hours before my sister volunteered to take time off of work to watch the kids. Now I know why it all came together so quickly and so easily. Ryan was meant to snowboard again!

The Vail Veterans Program is an adaptive skiing and snowboarding trip conceived of by Cheryl Jensen. When Cheryl first planned it she only intended to do it one time, but now six years later it has grown to four programs a year, two in the winter and two in the summer. And the overwhelming response from the veterans who attend is that it is a true taste of freedom after so many months of limitation. It was no different for Ryan. I don't know if it was adrenaline, or just the fresh mountain air, but Ryan did more physical activity in those three days of snowboarding than I've seen him do in the 20 months since his injury. It was amazing!

Everything was perfect, from our flight to Colorado, to our accommodations, to the professional instruction, to every delicious meal. Love and thoughtfulness were evident in every decision that was made. And since Ryan was the only snowboarder, and I think because Cheryl liked him so much, Cheryl gave him a brand new snowboard and bindings from one of the sponsors, K2. Her generosity brought me to tears. The whole time we were there we kept talking about how much fun we were having and how much we wanted to bring the kids back someday. And when Cheryl gave Ryan that snowboard, it was as if she had given him a ticket back to a part of our lives that we thought was forever gone.

We are so thankful for Cheryl, Lindsay, Matt (0ur instructor), all the sponsors and participants of the Vail Veterans Program, and even the Mayor and city of Vail, that welcomed us with open arms. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

There's nothing that Ryan can't do.


Vail Veterans Program participants February 2009



Dinner with friends

Look at that view! Does it get better than this?

P.S. Ryan's next surgery is planned for February 24th. Details and updates to come.

3 comments:

My Family said...

That looked like fun! I miss snowboarding!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you agreed to go. Next time you guys go to CO I hope we can go together Erik has gone skiing but without me.

Anonymous said...

Little by little, you guys are reclaiming your lives back. Good for you! Enjoy the journey!