Monday, December 28, 2009

4

Ryan was duped.

A couple of months ago, Ryan's friend Pat invited him to go on a hunting trip. Pat had been invited to hunt and wasn't going to be able to make it, and asked Ryan to go in his place. Ryan hadn't been hunting since he was a kid, and back then I don't think he did so much hunting as hanging out and eating all the food that they brought. But he was ready for some "guy time" and a hunt sounded like just the ticket. The date was set for December and he was told they'd have everything he needed to hunt. Just pack a bag for the weekend and go have fun.

I didn't think much of it. I was all set to spend the weekend with the kids while Dad went off to shoot Bambi. But then I got a mysterious phone call. The caller was participating in the hunt and wanted to ask me a few questions about Ryan without Ryan's knowledge. The first one was simple, is Ryan left handed or right handed? But then they got more curious like, what kind of music does Ryan like? It became clear pretty quickly that they were planning some nice surprises for Ryan and I'm never one to ruin a good surprise. But it should have tipped me off when I asked how many wounded guys were going on the hunt and they said it was only Ryan.

The Friday morning of the hunting trip arrived and the kids were all off at school. It was just Ryan and I waiting for his ride and I was giving him the "Don't be like Dick Cheney" pep talk. A couple of trucks pulled up outside and a couple of guys jumped out. And there it was.....the video camera.

We invited them in, while the tape was running, and found out that Ryan was being surprised with a "Hunt of a Lifetime" thanks to Veteran Outdoors! Show host Cody Hirt was there surprising Ryan and I and Brad Strittmatter was capturing it all on video. I don't know who was more surprised, but I'm pretty sure both our mouths were hanging open. And I wanted to crawl under the couch when they asked to film me talking about what an opportunity like this means for us. I was certainly not "camera ready", but you'll see that yourself when the episode airs next fall. I don't want to tell you too much about the weekend but I'll be sure to post a link when it's going to be on TV.

What I can tell you is that Ryan had an AMAZING time and made friends for life with the guys he spent time with that weekend. There were so many surprises that I don't know how they'll fit them all into one episode and Ryan was so humbled by the kindness and generosity bestowed upon him. Below are just a few pictures from Ryan's weekend as a teaser for what is sure to be a great show!


Ryan with Ted Nugent and Cody Hirt


Ryan up close and personal with one of the residents at the YO Ranch.


These beauties were for enjoying not hunting.



Thanks to Pat Scrogin for recommending Ryan for this great opportunity! Pat had his own Hunt of a Lifetime and knew what an incredible experience this would be for Ryan. Thank you!

No comments: