Thursday, September 4, 2008

Surprise, surprise

So, I'm getting to the blog a little late today because things did not go as expected yesterday.  When I brought Ryan his McDonalds at noon, his PA said he'd been waiting for me.  That always makes me a little nervous, but this time it was for good reasons.  He said Ryan was doing great and his pain was really well managed, so they said he could go home if he was ready.  We went in and asked Ryan and he was ready!  I couldn't believe it.  After only one night in the hospital, after a major surgery, Ryan was ready to go home!  So, after getting paperwork, supplies, and a ton of visitors, we packed up and were home by 4:30 pm.  He still has wound vacs on both his shoulders and a bolster (pressure dressing) on his upper lip, but the wound vacs will be removed on Friday and the bolster on Monday.  He's relatively comfortable and just so happy to have some movement back in his neck.  His eye pain is gone and now the thing that bothers him the most is the donor site on his right thigh where they took the skin to graft his shoulder.  He's happy to be home and we're happy to have him home.  He hasn't been up and around a whole lot, but that's to be expected.  We're watching his face for any signs that things aren't going well, but his surgeon said that if it's going to fail at home, it's going to fail in the hospital and there's nothing we can do about it.  It's hard to tell what looks good and what doesn't, but so far things look pretty good.  Before when he would get skin grafts he was always bandaged up for several days.  So I don't really know what a skin graft is supposed to look like on day 2.  His PA did say that it's going to look worse before it looks better, so I try not to worry about it too much.  We'll be in the clinic tomorrow so they'll let us know for sure.  Just keep Ryan in your prayers and I know we'll be just fine.

4 comments:

RoseAnn said...

Yay!

I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try giving you a call. Figured tonight will be a little crazy. ;)

Cambi Martin said...

What a wonderful surprise. We are just so happy everytime we hear things are going in the right direction. We continue to keep you all in our prayers.
Love,
Ron, Cambi, Alex & Zack

a day in frames said...

So glad to hear the great news! I will definitely keep you both in my prayers! Hang in there girl! ;)

Jae and Sierra said...

Boy, I'm glad he's back home. They're always better off at home. I've also learned that these grafts...if they're anything like Jae's will be almost black, and then they will begin to start coming back in pink. Don't know if they're the same type though. I will still be thinking of you all!