Thursday, August 14, 2008

Post-op Day Three

Ryan's appetite is coming back! Not with it's same voracity, but it's certainly better than the last few days. When I called him before visiting hours began to see if he wanted me to bring him something other than hospital food for lunch, I knew he was starting to feel better because he asked for a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Fries, Coke, and an M&M McFlurry. He didn't actually eat it all (like he normally would), but he made a good effort. And he fed himself for the first time since surgery too.

Sleeping in the hospital is always a challenge for Ryan, especially when he has to share a room with 3 other people. But last night he slept better than he had the previous two nights. Maybe that's why he was feeling so much better today. And he's looking good too. The color and temperature of his flaps are the best they've been yet. His doctor is really pleased and confident that everything is going to turn out nicely. The swelling is down a little bit since yesterday, but still looking just as it should. I've taken a few pictures of Ryan the last couple of days and shown them to him so he can see how things are coming along. But he still is constantly asking me if his eyes, his flaps, his pedicles, his wound vacs, etc., look okay. And they look great, but sometime between the 15th and 20th time he asks me, I start telling him that they look awful and he should probably stop asking me. He doesn't stop. And I've also started telling him that he looks like a character from the "Austin Powers" movie, "Fat Bastard". He actually agrees with me on that one.

The doctor says we're on track for Ryan to go outpatient tomorrow. And we're both looking forward to that. I always forget how exhausting it is to spend all day at the hospital. When I'm away from the kids all day, I feel guilty that I'm not home. And when I'm away from Ryan, I feel guilty that I'm not at the hospital. Meanwhile, nothing is getting done at the house. Laundry, groceries, cooking, and more are all being neglected with each passing day. They will still be there when Ryan comes home and I don't have to spend all day at the hospital. Then I'll just have to add wound care, pain management, and who knows what else, to my list of things to do. But never fear, Ryan's sister, Rhonda, is flying in tonight to save the day. She offered to stay for a week and help me with the hardest part of these three weeks. I love her!

In other news, Noah has been taking his first steps this week, but I wouldn't yet call what he does "walking". Maya just found out she will be transitioning to a preschool class at daycare. She's not yet 3 years old, but she is potty trained and has good language skills so they are moving her up a little early. Jaida is visiting family in Oregon and will be home next Tuesday. We miss her and can't wait to have her home. She's had quite the busy summer. She starts 8th grade on August 25th. So you can see, there's always something new happening at our house.

3 comments:

RoseAnn said...

Never a dull moment!

I hope Fat Bastard is feeling better every day!

Team Osborne said...

Hey Voltins! It's always great to see you guys seeing the lighter side of such an intense situation. There is great healing power in humor. I love you guys!

John and Coleen said...

Hi Pam & Ryan,
Glad to hear things are going well. I,m glad the leech team is doing there job. We love you guys.
Keep laughing its the best medicine.