Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wounded Warrior Project Caregiver Retreat

Last weekend I had the honor of being invited to attend a Caregiver's Retreat hosted by the Wounded Warrior Project.  We were taken to the amazing resort The Charter at Beaver Creek in Colorado.  It was an all expense paid trip filled with thoughtful touches and awesome opportunities.  We shared all our meals together and spent our mornings in guided sessions with two incredible social workers from St. Vincent's Hospital in New York City.  Our afternoons were free time to hit the pool, indulge in a spa treatment, go horseback riding, or just relax, and I did all of the above.  But what I found myself wanting to do every chance I got was talk to these other women.  These incredible caregivers who are walking in my shoes everyday.  Our ages ranged from 20-40 and included sisters and fiances as well as wives.  Some are dealing with injuries from 5 years ago and others from 9 months ago.  Our loved ones might be retired, still undergoing therapy, or still inpatient in the hospital.  We are living all over the country in California, Colorado, Texas, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Virginia, and more.  But no matter where we are from or where we are in our recovery, we all had something to learn from each other and something to give to each other.  I can't describe how powerful it was to be with these strong women.  We shared laughter, tears, and hugs, and no one left without feeling rejuvenated and ready for the hurdles that are yet to come.  I came home realizing just how lucky I am.  

When I was invited to go on this trip I declined.  I didn't want to ask anyone to come out to watch the kids on such short notice.  But when I told Ryan about it he said, "GO!  I can handle the kids.  It's just a weekend!"  He practically had to force me to call back and accept.  I just couldn't believe we were there.  We were at the point that I could confidently leave and Ryan and the kids could survive without me.  I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time.  Taking care of the kids so I could get away for a little while is something that Ryan would've done before his injury, so it just felt so "normal" for him to offer now.  And most the time our lives don't feel very "normal"!  

Ryan knew how important it was for me to take care of myself before the next round of surgeries we have scheduled.  On Monday, Ryan will have his face reconstructed with the skin they've been expanding on his shoulders.  Then on September 2nd, they'll disconnect the flaps from his shoulders and finish his face.  And just today we scheduled a surgery for September 22nd to release the capsules in the knuckles of his left hand again.  It's just the first of many surgeries we have planned with the new hand surgeon we are working with from the Hand Center of San Antonio.  We are excited for all that Dr. Pederson has planned for Ryan.  But surgery after surgery is exhausting for us all and the coming months will be challenging.  My weekend of respite came at the perfect time and I'm so glad I was able to take advantage of it.  I'd like to ask you to please keep us in your prayers.  Pray that these surgeries will be successful and that we have the strength to endure.

Our group photo on the first night.

Having some social time at the Coyote Cafe.

Enjoying the view on a trail ride.

No comments: