Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Thanksgiving in August

Last month when I asked Ryan what he wanted to do for his 28th birthday (besides surgery!) I was pretty surprised when he said he wanted a full Thanksgiving dinner the night before surgery.  Before any procedure, Ryan has to fast after midnight so he wanted a really big meal to tide him over until he could eat again.  How could I say no to Ryan's only birthday request?  

So, sure enough, we did it!  Turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, the whole nine yards.  And Ryan couldn't be happier!  We invited our good friends, Dan and Teal, over and had the unique fortune that Teal's mom, Diane, was in town.  She was so excited she demanded to be allowed to help cook.  And I was all too willing to let her!  She made a DELICIOUS stuffing, sweet potato souffle, and green bean casserole.  I cheated by ordering a fully cooked turkey from a BBQ place in town, and I don't feel even a little bit bad about it.  It was yummy and I didn't have to cook it!  Everything came together perfectly and we had a great day.  Ryan ate more food than I thought possible and all in all enjoyed his birthday!

Gathered around the table for Ryan's birthday feast

Ryan blew out his birthday candle in a piece of pumpkin pie.
(Please pay no attention to my naked daughter!  She stripped down after getting soaked playing with the water hose in the backyard.)


The kids let their meal settle by jumping on the trampoline!

2 comments:

RoseAnn said...

How is it possible that you are still surprised at how much Ryan (aka Worm) can eat? LOL

My Family said...

I love it! That cracks me up that all he wanted was Thanksgiving dinner!